With Labor Day signaling the official end of summer, you may be closing up your vacation home and bringing your rockers in from an outdoor porch. This is the perfect time for some seasonal care of your Brumby® Rocker, as outdoor conditions take a toll on rocking chairs over time. Here are a few helpful tips on cleaning dirt and stains off your rocker to bring back that familiar shine.
What you’ll need:
- Sheet or tarp to put under the rocker
- Clean cloth/rag
- Mild detergent like 409 or Fantastic
- Tung oil (found at all major hardware stores)
- Lay clean sheet or plastic down in a dry place like a garage or covered porch.
- Examine chair to make sure there are no signs of mold. Areas of high humidity and moisture breed mold, which is the enemy of a wooden rocking chair. If you suspect mold, we recommend wiping down your rocker with mild detergents before rushing to refinishers.
- Mix two parts 409 with one part water (or Fantastic, and you can try half soap & half water mixture). Wipe down your rocking chair with a clean rag. It is safe to wipe down the wood and the caned seats and back. You can scrub down your rocker as needed without taking off the wood finish until dirt and debris is removed and let the rocker air dry thoroughly, preferably overnight.
- If your cane has dulled and needs a new gloss protective coating, you can apply tung oil liberally with a brush. Wipe off any excess oil and make sure none is sitting on the wooden frame of the rocking chair. Let dry on the cane overnight and then lightly sand before you reapply a second coat the following day and again let dry overnight.
- If you’re going to store you porch rockers inside during the winter months, a dry garage or attic is best. You can spray your rocker with a half vinegar/half water spritz to help guard against mold.
Keeping your Brumby® Rocker in good condition from year to year and season to season will ensure that one day it can welcome in the next generation of your family.The better you care for your Brumby® Rocker, the less likely you’ll have to take advantage of our restoration services.
Renowned as “the Rolls-Royce of rocking chairs” among designers and loyal collectors, Brumby® Rockers grace stately homes, from the Truman balcony of the White House, to sprawling verandas of luxury resorts and well-appointed rooms around the globe. For 140 years, Brumby has offered its customers the highest level of customer service and the assurance that Brumby® Rockers are unmatched in the market. Fine craftsmanship and attention to design and detail provides unequalled quality, comfort and durability. Restoration service is available for all items produced by The Brumby Chair Company. To-the-Trade is available for design professionals.
The Brumby Chair Company
37 West Park Square
Marietta, GA 30060
Tuesday – Saturday 10 am to 5 pm